Home >> States

Rain-hit Mumbai limps back to normalcy after long night, 5 dead

A day after heavy monsoon rain brought Mumbai to a standstill, which reported nearly 300 mm of rain in parts of the city on Tuesday - 29 times the normal, the Met office has forecast more rain in the next 24 hours and have urged people to stay indoors.

Schools and colleges will be closed today. Five people have reportedly died in the intense rain, heaviest since July 2005, when floods paralysed the country's financial hub.

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis tweeted to say that people in and around Mumbai are "advised to stay back home unless there is an emergency" but assured that "essential services" will be up.

No overnight rain was reported but the Met office has said that while the city is likely to see less intense rain today, with the storm moving away, they expect heavy rain for at least 24 hours more. Tuesday's rain was the heaviest since July 2005, when floods paralysed the city.

Three people, including two children, were killed when a house collapsed in Mumbai. In neighbouring Thane, a 32-year-old woman and a teenage girl died and two others were injured in rain-related incidents.

Authorities said the local train services have been resumed on most of the stretches as water is receding in most parts of the city. Many trains, however, are running behind schedule. Tuesday's rain paralysed train services used by millions of commuters daily, with many stranded at stations and hundreds of others walking home through waist-deep water on railway tracks. The railways ran trains through the night to evacuate all passengers.

Teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) are on alert. The Navy, which has kept divers and choppers on standby to rescue people, said it was also arranging shelters for stuck in areas like Colaba, Worli and Ghatkopar.

Thousands waded yesterday through waist-deep water. People abandoned cars to walk, with the police encouraging them to do so wherever the water was tyre-high. With high tide in the evening, the police also urged people to avoid beaches and promenades. Power outages were reported in several parts of the city.