Dreaded terror outfit Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the latest string of deadly terror attacks in Iraq. At least 71 people were killed and several got injured in attacks including suicide bombings in Baghdad on Tuesday.
This is the second major attack in the Iraqi capital.
More than 150 people have been killed in Baghdad in the last seven days, which clearly shows that there are major flaws in Baghdad security procedures.
The deadliest attack happened in Sadr City where an explosives-rigged vehicle was detonated by a suicide bomber, killing at least 24 people, security and medical officials informed. IS has claimed responsibility for the attack, confirming that the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber who detonated a car bomb.
Another suicide bomber targeted the Shaab area, also in northern Baghdad, killing at least 21 people. Interior ministry spokesman Saad Maan said the attack in Shaab area was the handiwork of a female suicide bomber. But the IS said in a statement that the attack was carried out by man named Abu Khattab al-Iraqi.
The terror outfit also said that the assailant hurled hand grenades and then detonated a suicide belt. The third attack hit the Rashid area of southern Baghdad killing at least three people.
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has ordered the arrest of the security official responsible for the Shaab area. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack in Rashid so far.