The United States has still not released any statement confirming the death of Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was on Tuesday reported to have been killed in an American airstrike in Syria's Raqqa.
An Italian news agency cited a report by Islamic State-run Al-Amaq as saying that the world's most-wanted man was killed in an air raid on Friday. Iranian state media and pro-government Turkish daily Yenis Safak also corroborated the report about Baghdadi's death.
But the US officials were yet to confirm the death of the most wanted terrorist, nicknamed "the invisible sheikh". Baghdadi has a USD 25-million bounty on his head.
Italian news agency AKI said in its report that the coalition forces launched the airstrike on the Islamic State-controlled territory`s capital Raqqa in northern Syria on Friday.
It said the statement in Arabic published by Amaq announced that "the commander of the faithful and caliph Baghdadi was killed by alliance airstrikes on Raqqa on the fifth day of Ramadan (Friday)".
Mirror.co.uk citing a statement from Iraqi security forces said Baghdadi`s convoy was hit "as it was moving towards Karbala (in Iraq) to attend a meeting of the Daesh terrorist leaders".
Colonel Chris Garver, of the coalition forces, said that he had "nothing to confirm this at this time".
The reports of Baghdadi?s death have emerged in the past too. Iraqi TV channel Al-Sumaria reported on Monday said that the IS chief had been wounded in a coalition airstrike on a location 65 kilometres west of the Islamic State-held city of Mosul.
45-year-old Baghdadi has not released any audio or video statement in the last six months. He last released an audio message in December 2015.