In a shocking proof of neglect and apathy, nine students of a government school at Deoli of Delhi were hospitalised due to food poisoning on Thursday, after they consumed mid-day meal in which, two dead rat was found.
While angry parents demanded resignation of Delhi Deputy Chief Minister and Education Minister Manish Sisodia, he asserted that an FIR would be registered against the meal supplier and they would be blacklisted.
Claiming that a rat was actually found in the mid-day meal, a mother of one student stated that such negligence is unacceptable.
Post visiting the Madan Mohan Malviya Hospital in Malviya Nagar on Thursday night, along with Directorate of Education (DoE) Director Saumya Gupta, Sisodia asserted that the students were alright. The food in the school was supplied by an agency called the Jan Chetna Jagriti & Shaikshanik Vikas.
A teacher of the school said, "There was aloo puri on the menu today. While the food was being served, two rats found their way into the sabzi given to some children from classes VI-VIII. Teachers found the rats and raised an alarm. Some of the students began to feel sick and were eventually taken to the hospital. We then informed police," Indian Express reported.
According to a school management committee member, one rat was thrown away while the other was was retained for inspection. In a report by The Indian Express, a senior DoE official was quoted, saying, "It is suspected that only one rat was found in the mid-day meal and we have sent it for testing. Four children have complained of vomiting, while others have stomach ache. Once it’s confirmed that it was a rat, strict action will be taken."
Deputy CM Sisodia, in a series of tweets, stated, "Such great negligence in matters relating to children will not be tolerated. From tomorrow, mid-day meals will be prepared in the presence of our officers."