Los Angeles: Hollywood star Johnny Depp was handed over a restraining order on Friday after his wife, Amber Heard, approached the court with a black eye, accusing Depp of physically assaulting her.
Earlier this week, Amber had filed for divorce from Depp in Los Angeles. She is seeking spousal support from the 52-year-old Pirates of the Caribbean star. Amber claims that she is the victim of repeated attacks by Depp.
Some pictures were also submitted to the court by Amber showing a bruise on her face. Amber claims it was inflicted during a fight between the couple on Saturday.
"During the entirety of our relationship, Johnny has been verbally and physically abusive to me," she said in a sworn statement.
She added that Depp has a "totally acknowledged public and private history of drug and alcohol abuse" and that she was scared of his temper.
TMZ reported that Amber got hurt after Depp hurled his iPhone at her face on Saturday night. Amber claims after he allegedly hit her, "he offered her money to stay quiet, but instead she filed for divorce first thing Monday morning," TMZ said.
Amber said in the court that she is facing an immediate threat of harm from Depp, even though the actor is in Europe promoting his new film, Alice Through the Looking Glass, which was released on Friday.
Los Angeles superior court judge Carl Moor passed the order, after reviewing 40 pages of evidence behind closed doors, that Depp is banned from coming within 100 yards (91 meters) of Heard. The court will review the order on June 17.